Monday 18 July 2011

TANNAZ BAHNAM is a TRIPLE THREAT




Tannaz Bahnam is a Triple Threat: Photographer, Marketer and Entrepreneur

Tannaz has travelled the world twice over and worked in numerous places but it’s only since this Iranian beauty landed in Nigeria in 2008 has she really blossomed. She has exhibited her photographs of her extensive travels, she is the brand marketer for ICE Watch and most recently- among other things- setup her lifestyle website, www.LostInLagos.com


Pictures, Latte and Ice

Tannaz Bahnam moved to Lagos in January 2008 for a six month project with National Geographic. “During my report with the National Geographic, I met my Lebanese husband here and once the project finished, I stayed,” she says with a contagious smile. Although she holds a Master Degree in Diplomacy, it is quite irrelevant to her current career path; she is definitely a jack of all trades. “Because of my passion for travelling and exploring, photography plays an important role in my life,” says Tannaz. Taking photographs was a means for her to document her daily lifestyle, from different cultures to cityscapes; Tannaz discovered and captured it all. She has even had her photos exhibited at the Life House in Lagos.
When she is not running around taking pictures, you may find her distributing her own brand of Chai Latte, T.Kup. “There are lots of things I love about Nigeria, if there were things I’d miss from home such as Chai Latte, I realised that in Nigeria if you can’t find it, you can make it,” she says pointing to her glass jar of branded Chai Latte. “Most Nigerians would never ask for Chai Latte, but now it’s available for them to try, it’s in demand in several stores and cafe’s across Lagos.” Tannaz really does embrace Lagos and all it has to offer. Her mindset is incredibly positive; where others may sit back and grumble she overcomes her obstacles by creating her own opportunities and filling the void in the market- even if it is with Chai Latte. “In Lagos, there’s always an opportunity for growth and development, any ideas you have, you can implement,” she says encouragingly.
Belgian brand, Ice Watch are good friends of Tannaz’s, they required someone with charm and intelligence to help market their watch in Nigeria. “I started working with Ice Watch as the brand manager thinking it would be part-time, but I have to handle everything from distribution, stock-taking to marketing, which obviously became a full time job.” Tannaz says whilst subconsciously playing with her white and gold Ice watch. She has been an intricate and effective member of the Ice watch team; since she came on-board, the company now retails in 17 locations throughout Lagos. A job well done!


Lost in Lagos

Tannaz is the definition of superwoman, as well as all the aforementioned ventures, she has recently setup her own website called www.LostInLagos.com; she clearly displays entrepreneurial qualities. The idea behind the website was created as a result of Tannaz’s far-reaching travels. She finds that, “the better I know a city, the easier it is to adjust. However, with Lagos it’s much different as everywhere is hidden and I either stumble upon it or get a recommendation from someone.” Tannaz began her own internal database of all upscale restaurants, bars, spas and gyms in Lagos. “I know all the names of roads and exactly how to get there, as a result all my friends would constantly call me to provide information. I decided to collate this information into a directory and that’s how ‘lost in Lagos’ started” she says enthusiastically. Tannaz really is a walking bank of information, she could even tell me which aisle in a supermarket to get flavourings for coffee...random!

However, Lost in Lagos, is more than a simple directory, it’s an upscale guide to different lifestyle options in Lagos. Not only does it provide the basic information of a company, it now rates the company and allows consumers to give feedback on their experience on everything from the food to the customer service. Have you ever complained about the lack of customer service in Nigeria...of course you have. Well, no longer do we have to sit back and allow staff of restaurants or bars, continue in their impolite ways. Tannaz believes that customer service needs to be improved as competition increases. She says, “In the past there was a general, ‘if you don’t like it, leave’ attitude but as consumers we are more knowledgeable and we have a say in what we deserve as paying customers.” In a booming society such as Lagos where every month a new cafe, spa or bar opens up, no longer do we have to be content with sub-standard services.

Tannaz’s vision for the website is to take the brand beyond the virtual realm, into a 3-D reality. To compliment the website, lost in Lagos often hosts outdoor events, the next will be a two-day lifestyle event taking place at the Federal Palace hotel. “We are having a lifestyle event not an exhibition, it will bring together companies that are on the website live with their consumers, expect over 50 vendors, ranging from bars, spas to fashion retailers and there will also be live music performances. It’s not just a social event, tickets will be sold and we aim to infuse all that Lagos has to offer. We would want people to come and purchase from vendors and not just for the free goody bags.” She says with a coy laugh.


Positivity

From working for National Geographic, to exhibiting photos, making her own brand of Latte, creating a successful website and did I mention she writes for magazines too, Tannaz Bahnam has garnered much inspiration from this pulsating city, Lagos. Rather than complain about what the city is lacking, she has found herself and is giving back to the society. This positive attitude is what I encourage others to adopt, nothing will change if we all sit back and point faults, time is better spent on solutions. If Lagos could change Tannaz’s life and she has only been here for three years, what is your excuse? Others may have been frustrated by the challenging lifestyle in Lagos, but Tannaz saw this as a positive and informative opportunity. What will you do next time you are lost in Lagos?


Final Four


1) When was the last time you felt intimidated at a business meeting?

I often feel intimidated before most meetings but once I get started and begin to talk with confidence about ‘Lost in Lagos,’ the feeling of intimidation disappears.


2) Since adolescence, in what 3 year period do you feel you experienced the most personal growth and change?

Definitely the last 3 years; I feel everything I have experienced in my entire life was a build up for the last three years. I changed jobs, moved to Nigeria, got married and setup my own company. It has definitely been the most stable three years of my life and I guess I have Nigeria to thank for that.


3) What three things in your life do you feel most grateful for?

My family, my husband and my Cannon Rebel camera; It has given me a whole new view on everywhere I’ve visited. As corny as it may sound I now view life through a different lens.


4) Complete the Ceteris Paribus (all things being equal) In five years I...

I will have grown ‘Lost in Lagos’ to the level of Facebook (just kidding!) Lost in Lagos will be a recognised brand, it will have expanded to lost in Nigeria, then lost in Africa- well maybe in 10 years. But definitely in 5 years time I will have expanded Lost in Lagos to include lots of other Nigerian states.

1 comment:

  1. Nice fade ff mee on twitter@soulzmehn and check owt ma blog ama a music blogger

    ReplyDelete