Monday 18 July 2011

GOZI: The Global Brand



GOZI: The Global Brand

Gozi is more than a fashion brand; studying in London, living in Japan and still firmly in touch with her Nigerian roots, she is a global ambassador of entrepreneurship. Her label U.Mi-1 supersedes the regular clothing convention; she cleverly infuses her engineering education into the construction of her clothes.


GOZI

Ngozi Ochonogor better known by her brand name, Gozi, is a fashion designer who lived in Japan until she recently moved to London a few months ago. Japan, wow! That’s what I thought. However, the more I learnt about her, the more I realised she was completely different to anyone I’d ever met, after all how many successful fashion designers have you heard of with a Masters degree in software engineering. “All my life I’ve wanted to differentiate myself, I chose software engineering because it sounded cool!” Gozi says before bursting into her contagious laugh. She’s right, in an era where everyone studied law, medicine perhaps even architecture, I.T was virgin territory even more so was software engineering which she studied at Imperial College, UK. “In my first year of University, I realised it wasn’t my calling. I told my mother I wanted to study fashion and she said my father would disapprove. I finished my engineering degree and went on to gain a Masters degree” she says.

However, during her studies she always encountered a problem: shopping. In her mind’s eye she had a specific idea of an outfit she wanted and would trawl the streets of London, looking for a particular style- which of course she never found. This spurred her on to pursue her true calling: fashion. “I enrolled at the Central School of Fashion, a couture school and within a week, I knew this is what I wanted to do,” she says. The world must have conspired for her to achieve her goal; in her first year of fashion school she began retailing ladies wear at a boutique in Paris and by 1995 she had a stall at the famous Portobello market in West London. “When I began selling at Portobello, my father began taking my fashion career seriously. Every Saturday morning I would wake up at 4am and cycle to the market,” she says deep in thought, slightly hunched over and subconsciously twisting her short locks. It’s clear Gozi is an extremely determined woman, her hard work paid off and the brand expanded. She showcased at London Fashion Week, her clothes were stocked at various stalls and stores around London and she was the first ‘upcoming’ designer to ever showcase at Paris Fashion Week, on-schedule (alongside the ‘big brands’).
Once she finished fashion school she decided to move to Japan. “I always thought I was cool, but at fashion school all the Japanese students blew my mind. They combined an array of colours with layering of clothes in mind-boggling ways yet still ever chic, classy and edgy. I loved their style. Apart from the business aspect of production, I’ve always wanted to go to Japan,” she says before bursting into giggles.


U.Mi-1



Leaving London for a holiday Gozi arrived in Japan, she stayed for a few months and fell in love with everything the country had to offer, the lifestyle, the culture, even the food- with the exception of missing her family, friends and fried plantain- she settled. She cites a similarity between Lagos and Kyoto. “When I got there life was slow, one really learns to exercise patience in Japan. Just like Nigeria when it comes to business they love meetings, they can have 10 meetings to conclude on one issue. The city is also just as over populated as Lagos, there’s a lot of traffic and it’s a bustling, thriving city.” In Lagos, due to high rental prices most newlyweds cannot afford their own property. However, in Kyoto, due to lack of space it’s difficult to find accommodation. Gozi says, “Even though the circumstances are completely different, the end results are the same; young couples living with other family members.” Based on these findings, Gozi was inspired to create her latest label U.Mi-1 which stands for ‘You and Me are One.’

“I promised myself not to have any more fashion shows, instead I setup art installations which creates more dialogue and unity.” Gozi says proudly. The U.Mi-1 collection focuses on collaborations with a range of artists from sculptures to screen-printers, she infuses their work charmingly into her designs and it translates beyond a piece of clothing. “The process of creating the pieces with other artists becomes informative. I share my experiences, we educate each other about cultures and that is what usually inspires the collection, the art form of storytelling.” Gozi’s style is unique and her brand is identifiable from the detailing which is often inspired by cubism and architecture. The construction of her clothes seems mechanical; showing off her engineering expertise.


CHANGE



The U.Mi-1 range is currently being sold in stores in Kyoto, Japan. The most popular actors and singers in Japan are regular clients of hers. Having conquered Japan, she decided to move back to London six months ago. “I moved back to Europe to become more central, to be an international brand. I exhibit at trade shows in Paris rather than catwalk shows because it’s simply business.” She says firmly. The few months she has been in London has proved worthwhile, this month (May) her collection will be stocked at Wolfe & Badger, a contemporary store in Notting Hill. By the end of the year expect her U.Mi-1 denim range to be available in Lagos.
Despite her growing brand, fashion to Gozi is just a means by which she can express herself; her real ambition is to bring about change, especially in Nigeria. “If I could I would improve the light and security sectors. I would not hesitate to bring my factory in Japan into Nigeria. We have over 150 million hard working people in Nigeria. I would train and employ therefore creating more jobs in our society.” Gozi is currently manufacturing in Japan, UK and China.

Gozi is clearly on a blazing path of success, her clothes are a reflection of herself: systematic, structured yet incredibly stylish. Beyond her designs what I admire most is her ability to see the beauty in others, she realises that stories and experiences connects us all. The more dialogue is formed, the more educated we become, the more similarities we share...U.Mi-1.

FINAL FOUR


1) If you found out for certain there’s a Heaven and Hell how would you change your life?

As a Christian, I do believe there’s a Heaven and Hell, so my life would remain the same.


2) If you had to name the one thing that frightens you most about growing old, what would it be?

I guess not accomplishing my dreams. Growing old is okay because I believe as long as I am breathing I can do whatever I set my mind to.


3) If you could have any view in the world visible from you bed, what would it be?

The Ocean, I love water.


4) If you could be the house cat of any person on Earth, whose would you choose to be?

I would be God’s, oh wait, He is not a person on Earth. Then I would choose to be my own house cat, I love myself! (Laughs loudly)

3 comments:

  1. a great article from a wonderful girl!

    glad to see your doing your thing as you can see im doing mine!

    Leon Vigille
    CEO

    www.globalprojects.eu

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, great! You must be source of inspiration for others.
    Interesting!!

    Regards

    Sulabh Jaiswal
    www.s3infotech.in

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice article, are u on FB?

    ReplyDelete