Tuesday 30 March 2010

Here's the Good News..(Wed 24th March)

INSIDE MY WORLD - HERE’S THE GOOD NEWS...

Over the past few weeks I have received numerous comments about my articles. Some praise my writing style and content while others have suggested that the focus of my work is often ‘dark’ and at times ‘negative’. Today I will not ask questions such as, how applicable is the 1999 Nigerian constitution to its people? Or, if we should set a benchmark on how often the constitution should be reviewed. Neither will I mention the fact that perhaps the constitution may not have any problems but the real issue may rather lie in the implementation of these laws. Instead today, I have decided to focus on the positive aspects of Nigeria of which I have experienced...

As much as I may complain about the police force, those I have had the pleasure of encountering are not so bad. When I am asked to stop, I simply explain that I am in a real rush and my father has ordered me home. I play to the audience and these family men often smile and bid me farewell on my journey- that may be slightly exaggerated but it does work.



Nigerians may be perceived as harsh, even aggressive people but we are simply expressive by nature. The hand gesticulations and facial expressions we use may seem belligerent to the innocent passer-by, but it is just our way of communication. This does not mean we are not good natured people. Lagos is a very close-knit society. In London you could go for weeks without a single person greeting you or even seeing your neighbour. In Lagos it is the norm for family members and friends to eavesdrop at your home just because they were in the area. We tend to look out for each other more as a community, which I must admit is heart-warming and comforting. Here, I find that when amongst strangers; if I know just one person everyone else tries to make me feel welcome. (I must quickly interject; the above rule does not apply in fast food restaurants or supermarkets where the staff are permanently miserable!) That said, there are lots of other benefits of living in a close-knit community. Everyone knows everyone; if you own or work in a particular field you know or have heard of others within the same business. A lot of my peers were given jobs based on who they know, sometimes their skills were applicable to the job most times they were unrelated. Usually I would complain about how unskilled and under qualified employees are detrimental to any business, but not today. I shall not complain because I am a firm believer of hard work. Besides, if that is what it takes to pay my bills, my lips are sealed and I am happy.


My favourite pastime in Lagos is the nightlife. From around dusk till dawn is my most enjoyable time of the day. I love the weather at night, there are no sunrays beating down on my brow, the hustle of the day has drawn to a close and there is less congestion in the streets, providing the cool breeze with space to breathe. It seems a lot more tranquil and sane at night. In the words of Banky W ‘Aint no party like a Lagos party...’



I like meeting new people, laughing and forgetting the stresses of the day. Most importantly, I love Nigerian music after all music is a universal language. There may be over 400 different languages spoken in Nigeria but when a good song is playing, I feel the atmosphere charge with vivacity and harmony.
As much as I may think my parents are not contemporary, I understand the statement they have almost driven me insane with: ‘Nigeria is full of potential.’ This is true but it takes action to achieve potential. You cannot expect to pass your exams if you have not studied. Nigeria is full of potential, yes but is there enough action being taken to help realise this? In my opinion...No.
To my beloved readers who enjoy my critical vantage point of Nigeria and the rest of the world, fear not. You are probably more like myself and therefore understand bad news is the news. Only when one’s weakness is red-flagged can one set a benchmark of standards. That has been the aim of my articles this far: To highlight and inform not only to raise critique but, to provide idealist solutions regarding Nigeria and various other troubled parts of the world. I have now expressed the good news about Nigeria but did you know that in Switzerland this week, a male Nigerian asylum seeker on hunger strike died on the tarmac at Zurich airport. Swiss police say they had shackled the 29-year-old man, who was being forcibly deported along with 15 other Nigerians whose asylum bids had been rejected. The asylum seeker would rather die than be sent back- what does that say about Nigeria? If only he had read this article perhaps I could have dissuaded him.

No comments:

Post a Comment